At church, we have "community groups". They are basically a group of 3-5 people who keep one another accountable, pray for each other, and each group reads 30 chapters of the Bible per week. In my little group (we call ourselves the "Nitches") we have been reading Esther and Ruth. I'm in the minority with a lot of Christians because I like reading the Old Testament much better than the New. I just think the stories are so incredible - those amazing things really happened to real people just like me...and how in each story, you learn something about Jesus. Anyway, while reading Ruth today I decided that I would have liked to be her friend, had I been born in Biblical times. Her story is filled with so much sorrow in the beginning and even through her broken heart and her uncertainty, she still shows tremendous faith. She shows humility as she works hard to provide food for her mother in law and herself. She shows determination and she shows a quiet sort of strength.
I think I've always liked Ruth the most of all the women in the Bible...and I really hope that in the situations in my life I can show faith like Ruth. I desire the faith and trust that she showed...even though I'm sure she was scared, angry, broken-hearted, and wanted to run a lot of the time. It's encouraging to see another woman who wasn't quite sure of the future, but trusted and just followed. Maybe in Heaven, Ruth and I can grab a coffee and share our stories...
10.03.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Jay will love hearing someone loves the OT more:) I've always enjoyed it too - such amazing stories!
Post a Comment